Elquino Iron to the world
The Guayacán Port was built between 1952 and 1954 and is located northeast of the mouth of the Herradura Bay and south of the Port of Coquimbo. The port facilities receive the iron from Minas El Romeral, this material is transported by train directly from the mine, through 38 kilometers of railroad. During a year, approximately 20 vessels of 37 thousand metric tons of capacity are handled, with minerals destined for the domestic market (Dross for CAP Acero) and 25 vessels of 180 thousand metric tons of capacity, with minerals destined mainly for the Chinese market (Dross, Fine Sinter and Pellet Feed).
Maximum length: 315 m.
Maximum beam: 54 m.
Maximum draft: 16.2 m.
Berthing band: port side (left)
The Port of Guayacán has an electric power generating plant that uses petroleum as fuel. The plant's generating capacity is 2,000 kW, which supplies electricity to the storage and product shipment facilities.
The shipment of fines and chippings, stockpiled in the port's storage yards, is carried out at a maximum rate of three thousand metric tons per hour, through the use of 48′′ wide conveyor belts located in the reinforced concrete tunnels built under the storage yards. These belts carry the products to the main belt that transfers them to the tower where they are shipped.
Pellet feed is shipped using front-end loaders to feed three 15 metric ton capacity hoppers. The hoppers, located on one side of the stockpile, transfer the product to a 48′′ wide conveyor belt that transfers it to the main belt.